19 May 2009

The faces of fresh new species

It is a great time to be studying biology. But when people talk about this as being the age of biology, usually they think about our ability to perform molecular biology.

But I’m sorry, molecules are not why I wanted to be a biologist.

I say that one of the most undervalued aspects of biology know is just how much we still have to learn about organisms. Really basic natural history. We are constantly finding new species, and in many cases, the discoveries aren’t even slowing down.

New Scientist has a gallery of recently discovered species, like the adorable little snake pictured here, and older species with new findings. I’ve mentioned some of them on this blog before.

It’s a little sad that the gallery only has animals, as I’m sure there are many beautiful new plant species that have been discovered, too.

No comments: